WPMAA MASTERS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE 2021
|W.P.M.A.A.’S EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE: 2020/ 2021|
|HONORARY PRESIDENT||DR. ALAN NELSON|
|EXECUTIVE CHAIRPERSON||ROBERT BUCK|
|ADDITIONAL MEMBER (Events, Help & Support)||ELIZE GROBBELAAR|
|ADDITIONAL MEMBER (Advisor)||BASIL CARNIE|
|ADDITIONAL MEMBER (Events, Help & Support Treasury)||Aletta du Toit|
|ADDITIONAL MEMBER (Race Walking)||PAM JAMES|
|HONORARY LIFE MEMBERS
LEO BENNING HAROLD BERMAN BASIL CARNIE RON CROSS ISABEL HOFMEYR STEVE JOHNSTON BORG STANNIUS JURGEN SPENCER DR. ALAN NELSON
1.1. Was established in 1975 by Leo Benning;
1.2. Has its own Constitution and Bye Laws;
1.3. Associate member of Western Province Athletics (W.P.A.);
1.4. Affiliated to South African Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.);
1.5. S.A.M.A. is an Associate member of Athletics South Africa (A.S.A.);
1.6. S.A.M.A. is affiliated to Africa Masters Athletics Association(A.M.A.A.)and World Masters Athletics (W.M.A.);
1.7. W.M.A. is affiliated to the International Amateur Athletics Federation (I.A.A.F.).
2. SPECTRUM OF EVENTS:
Hurdles: (80/100/110/200/300/400m) & Steeple-Chase: (2000/3000m)
Jumps: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Pole Vault
Throws: Hammer Throw, Shot Put, Discus Throw, Javelin Throw, Weight Throw
Throws Pentathlon, Heptathlon and Decathlon
Road Walk:10 & 20km – Women and Men
2.3 AGE GROUPINGS
Women and Men: 30 years [Local, (i.e. club) Provincial, National and Regional (Africa)]
- Five year intervals 30 – 34 / 35 -39 / 40 -44 / 75 -79 etc.
- World Championships participation : Women and Men : 35 years +
3.STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Provincial Colours : criteria per age-group and event (30 yrs plus)
- National Colours : criteria per age-group and event (35 yrs plus)
4. MEMBERSHIP FEES:
An athlete must be 30 years or older, belong to a registered Western Province Athletics (W.P.A) club and have purchased the annual A.S.A. Provincial Licence No. Membership is compulsory for Western Province Masters Athletics Association (W.P.M.A.A.) (R100 for 2022)as well as for South African Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.) (R175 for 2022).
5. WHY JOIN?
5.1. Being active, getting fit and staying healthy
5.3. Age-grouping is unique (5 year intervals)
5.4. Age-graded tables
5.5. Local competition(clubs)
5.6. Interprovincial competition(S.A.M.A. Provincial Championships)
5.7. National competition (S.A.M.A. Championships)
5.8. Regional Competition (Africa Championships)
5.9. International competition (Indoor and Outdoor World Championships)
5.10. Medals awarded for the first three places, in age categories, for provincial championships (Track & Field)
5.11. Provincial Colours/Records (based on age-group of 5yrs –intervals)
5.12. National Colours/Records (based on age-groups of 5yrs –intervals)
CRITERIA FOR WESTERN PROVINCE MASTERS ATHLETICS PROVINCIAL COLOURS
To achieve WPA: Masters provincial colours for a specific season, an athlete must be 30 years or older and a ASA Licence holder of a registered W.P.A Club FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR. The period of assessment will be determined annually from the first day of the South African Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.) Championships up to and including the last day of the Western Province Masters Athletics Championships the following year, e.g. from the S.A.M.A. Champs May 2018 up to and including the last day of the WP Masters Champs in April 2019.
The athlete must have:
- equalled or bettered the standards at least three times which may be either in the same event or a total of three times in different events;
- participated in at least three meetings exclusively for masters athletes, (e.g. Leo Benning Challenge Series as well as Provincial masters events) one of which must be the current season’s WPA: Masters Championships, that is, unless he/she cannot participate due to injury or illness. Provincial Colours will be awarded after the WPA: Masters Athletic Championships, i.e. just prior to the S.A.M.A. Championships each year.
Club colours, licence numbers and age-group tags (front and back) are to be worn at all meetings in the Western Province, including the WP Masters Championships. When taking part in Provincial Masters Championships outside the W.P., the following applies: WPA: Masters provincial colours must be worn only by those who were awarded their colours for the current season, i.e. after the last WPA: Masters Champs. Those who didn’t qualify for a particular season must cover their provincial badge with their licence number or age-group tag, but must still wear their blue shorts and blue/white running vests to identify the province they representing.
AWARDS OF NATIONAL COLOURS
The award of national colours is the highest distinction to be awarded and is an honour which must be earned according to specific criteria and performance standards in masters athletics as determined by the executive committee from time to time.
- No recommendation shall be considered unless the performance claimed has been achieved by an athlete duly registered with SAMA at the time of the performance.
- A minimum of two (2) years paid-up membership of S.A. Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.).
- No recommendation shall be considered unless the candidate has already displayed a positive attitude and behaviour towards Masters Athletics.
- Formal application on the prescribed form must be made by the province to which the athlete belongs. By submitting the application the province concerned affirms that it fully supports the award of national colours to the athlete.
- For consideration it is required that the candidate has reached the standard twice, whether twice in the same event, or once each in two different events. In this case of the Decathlon and Heptathlon, the standard need only be attained once. The standard(s) must have been achieved during the duration of a specific age group, i.e. M40-44 or W55-59 (five year intervals).
- National colours can only be awarded once per age group.
- After an athlete has resigned membership from SAMA and/or has discontinued or interrupted their SAMA membership (e.g. injury, relocation overseas, etc.) the athlete must again complete another two years of uninterrupted membership before they will be considered for national colours first time award or re-award.
NB!! No SAMA record will be recognized unless the athlete is a paid-up member of SAMA at the time of the record application.
A re-award of national colours can only be awarded once per age group and all the prerequisites, i.e. 1 to 7 will again apply.
The 2021 – 2022 national colours standards shall be used as the basis of assessment for the award of national colours.
To qualify for a championship medal, an athlete must equal or better a set standard at the championships.
Leo Benning Masters Challenge
This series is ONLY for the participation of masters athletes. (Athletes born after 2007 may not compete)
- A new event management program will be in use from the first Leo Benning event onwards. Please, please help us by arriving at least 60 + minutes before the start of the event.
- Participation Fee: R30.00 (regardless of how many events you want to participate in)
- Due to time constraints (60 minutes per throwing event), the number of attempts in the respective throwing events will, unfortunately, have to be FOUR, or left to the discretion of the technical official, given the number of participants.
- Club colours, provincial licensee numbers, and two age-group tags are compulsory. (Front and back)
- Temporary license numbers – R25 (bring own safety pins).
- No South African Masters Athletes (SAMA) gear to be worn during local and inter-provincial competitions (except for track-suits, but not while competing).
- Please note that if you are interested in participating outside Western Province, i.e. at Masters Inter-provincial / National Championships, you must please inform WPA Masters Statistician.
2022/23 Fixture list TBC