The High Schools Bursary Programme provides support for some of our most outstanding athletes at a national level. The programme is designed to encourage both academic and athletic performance. The initial entry for the 2019 Programme is from Grade 8-9, and WPA will support these Athletes for their high school career, however a mandatory application will have to be made each year.
- This programme is designed to ensure that the Federation supports and retains its best high school going athletes.
- To ensure performing athletes enter in the WPA Development and High-Performance plan for the foreseeable future.
- Ensure athletes are supported both Athletically and Academically
To be eligible for inclusion, athletes need to be part of WPA Schools/Clubs (Cape Metropole), 13-15.
Criteria (TO BE CONFIRMED)
- Current/Former National Medalists (Dating 1-2 years back)
- Exceed Benchmark times (Avg 5th place dating 3 years back) TO BE CONFIRMED
- 50% Grade Average
- ASA Top 10 Ranking List
- Athletes will need to complete an Athlete Capacity Template
- Improved performance of the athlete on the Field as well as in the classroom
- Steppingstone for future senior/tertiary phase of sporting and academic life.
- Athlete Retention
- Athletes form part of a pathway from Junior into tertiary and senior level
The following support will be on offer:
- Athlete Equipment (Attire and Actual Equipment
- School Fees
- Coaching Fees
- Travelling Fees
- Medical Assistance
- Educational Needs (Stationery, School Attire, extra lessons, etc)
- Assistance with placement at school (where needed)