WHAT IS STREET ATHLETICS
Western Province Athletics, as part of its pilot programme, hosted 3 Street Athletics League events in 2016. The ultimate aim of the events was twofold; firstly, to take athletics to our communities and the people; and secondly, to provide an opportunity for all children, of all areas, to actively participate in the races and events, thereby providing them with an opportunity to broaden their existing horizons within sport, expose them to the sport of athletics and have FUN. Schools near the various locations locations were informed of the events taking place and personally invited to participate. Residents in the areas were also informed of,and encouraged,to attend the events.
OBJECTIVES ACHIEVED 2016
- Provided and enhanced opportunities for communities to participate in athletic activities
- Increased levels of participation
- Developed a love for athletics in young people, whilst sparking many memorable moments in the
- minds of older participants
- Promoted healthier communities, by dealing with the growing challenges of sedentary lifestyles,
- childhood obesity, gender equality and social cohesion
- Strengthened the development and leadership competencies within WP affiliated clubs
- Up skilled club representatives
- Generated much interest and eagerness in fellow affiliated clubs that are wishing to host Street
- Athletics events in their communities in 2017
- Initiated the process of identifying talent within our communities in the hope that we may support,
- encourage, develop and optimise the talent within the Western Province
- Provided the funding, resources and support to deliver 3 very successful events
OBJECTIVES FOR 2017
- To host 8 x Street Athletics League events.
- To host 1 x Street Athletics Finale.
- Events to be split into four age group categories (U17’s, U15’s, U13’s & U10’s) for boys and girls.
- Events to be hosted in the afternoon, for 2 hours, after school.
- To provide and enhance opportunities for communities to participate in athletic activities.
- To initiate the process of identifying talent within our communities in the hope that we may support, encourage, develop and optimise the talent within the Western Province
- To promote healthier and more active communities, by dealing with the growing challenges of sedentary lifestyles, gender equality and social cohesion.
For more information contact :
087 700 8262